Balangir

District Court Building and group, Balangir

The combined judgeship of Bolangir-Kalahandi started functioning with effect from 17th June, 1948 with its head quarters at Bolangir. The Judgeship of Kalahandi was separated from Bolangir on 28th February, 1982. After demarcation of Sonepur (Subarnapur) as a separate district, the Bolangir and Sonepur Judgeship continued to function in a combined manner till 22nd June, 2012 when the judgeship Sonepur was separated. The outlying stations of Bolangir are at Kantabanji, Titlagarh, Luisingha, Saintala, Muribahal, Patnagarh and Bangomunda.

The District Court is functioning in its old building which was inaugurated on 10th August, 1980 and it has 18 courts. The District Court along with other subordinate courts are functioning in the old structure and has an approximate area of 51,591 sq. ft.

The Construction of 16 E-Type and 16 F-Type Quarters for Staff of the Civil Courts was completed on 5th November 2022 by R&B at an estimated cost of 7 crores.

The Court of District and Sessions Judge became paperless on 17th September, 2022. Balangir comes under the DCDH at Sonepur which was inaugurated on 12th December, 2022.

Shri Lokanath Mohapatra was the District and Sessions Judge till 15th July, 2022. Shri Lalatendu Jena took over on 20th July, 2022.

The Judgeship was last inspected on 18th December, 2021 by the Administrative Judge Justice B. Rath.

Apart from the District and Sessions Judge, the judgeship consists of the following courts.

Number of judges in each court

Case Statistics

Closing Balance changed due to physical verification