Balasore

District Court Building, Baleswar

Till 1948, this district was under the combined judgeship of Cuttack-Balasore-Sambalpur. After the merger of princely states in 1948, it came under Keonjharjudgeship. When the ex-State of Mayurbhanj merged with the state of Orissa in 1949, it remained under the Mayurbhanj judgeship with its headquarters at Baripada till 1949. The District Judge stationed at Baripada was holding a Circuit Court at Balasore, from 1915 till 1957-58. A post of Additional District and Sessions Judge, Mayurbhanj was created in 1957-1958 with the headquarters at Balasore. Balasore became an independent judgeship on 15th January, 1959. The outlying stations of Balasore are at Jaleswar, Nilgiri, Basta, Bhogarai and Soro.

The Courts of Vigilance Judge and the Chief Judicial Magistrate became paperless on 22nd September, 2022.

Shri Bhagaban Pradhan was the District and Sessions Judge till 12th September, 2022. Shri Asanta Kumar Das took over on 14th September 2022.

The Judeship was last inspected on 21st May, 2022 by the Administrative Judge Justice D. Dash.

Apart from the District and Sessions Judge, the judgeship consists of the following courts.

Number of judges in each court

Case Statistics

Closing Balance changed due to physical verification